Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hopes of First Fade to Worst

Just some quick notes on the NBA Draft Lottery:

I took my drinking habit to the ocean last night, so I was unable to view the Sox/Yanks or Sternfest '07. Unfortunate, I know, but everything can't always swing your way. Sometimes you have to settle for getting drunk on a boat with friends and grilled meat.

We had a nice little surprise party for my buddy's girlfriend. As she arrived at the dock, the shock was evident, and the tears began to flow. It was a pretty powerful moment. There was genuine surprise. As I enjoyed the moment, and the bonus tears, I had no idea it was me who was going to be genuinely surprised and fighting back tears only an hour or so later.

Now, while I was on a Ferry in the middle of Casco Bay, seemingly away from it all, it is important to note that in this day in age it is impossible to get away from it all. I had the Treo out. If anything was going to happen, I was going to trap it in my internets. Plus, I had the one and only Hot Plate Amory on text message duty. His first task was to send me a text immediately as things unfolded. So, it was pretty fool proof system I had rigged, and everything went to pot except for one tiny detail... the Celtics pulled 5! F-I-V-E. FIVE.

If I hadn't been immediately able to hit the parquet dance floor on our Party Ferry and fire off my angst to "Man In The Mirror" with two 16 ounce beers in tow, things could have gotten a lot worse. I was hoping Tommy Heinsohn had this luck. In fact, they should have allowed the entire Celtics fanbase, all eleven of them, to head down to the historic halls of the... oh, wait, just the TD Banknorth Garden and let their tears flow to the King of Pop.

Maybe the worst part of all of this was NO ONE CARED. After I had gotten it out with a few sweet dance moves and whined to my closest circle of friends, I passed the info to others. The response was unanimous, "Who? the Celtics? Who cares? The Sox still winning?" Horrific.

Then, there is the fact that getting Greg Oden was basically Portland, Maine's only hope of getting Celtic's games in High Def. We get the Sox, the Pats, the Bruins and we even get some Rev's games in HD, but not one Celtics game. You see, when no one cares, no one calls Time Warner Cable to bitch. I called, my friend Phil called (and got an email response explaining no one cared!) but I'm pretty sure that's where the list ended. However, the C's get that first pick and people would care, people would call. But no. Five. We got 5. No Jianlian Guandonghigh Yi in high def for me.

I guess, in the end we can't really be too upset about this. We tanked games to get the best pick and that is the whole reason why the Lottery is in place: to prevent tanking (though I'm pretty sure the Spurs got to keep Tim Duncan).

I'll leave you with this: Before I went on my cruise last night, I was taking a pre game dump, and during that dump, as I was sitting on toilet in my C's jersey, I had an epiphany: It's a lottery. We were pining our hopes to a lottery. This is not a sound business strategy. The only people I know who pin their hopes to a lottery get paid once a month and have homes with wheels. Ugh, we should all be ashamed of ourselves.

The Sox still winning?

No comments: